st lawrences | recee

Foster Building (named after the chairman of the visiting committee) was built between 1902 and 1906. The County Architect, Silvanus Trevail, based his design on the echelon plan (no doubt insisted on by the Commissioners Of Lunacy), building effectively a separate asylum to the west of the site.

Moving around the north western corner of the Foster Building. Looking south towards Tamar & Fal ward. © Simon Cornwell 2006

Detail of red brickwork on Kensey & Valency Ward. © Simon Cornwell 2006